Principles of Naturopathy
What is Naturopathy?
Naturopathy is a medical discipline that combines western science and diagnostics with natural treatment methods. Naturopathic medicine believes in the body’s own ability to heal itself and that disease occurs when the body’s systems are out of balance. When all of the body’s systems are brought back into alignment, then healing occurs and health is optimized.
Naturopathy is a drug-free, safe, and effective system of medicine that uses a variety of medical techniques—such as acupuncture, massage therapy, botanic medicine, diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes, and vitamins and supplements.
Holistic Approach to Healing
Unlike western medicine, which focuses on individual symptoms, naturopaths believe in getting to the root cause of illness. Each person is unique, and there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all treatment plan. Thus, naturopathic medicine takes a holistic approach to health by treating the whole person. Naturopathic doctors consider a person’s physical and emotional states when prescribing natural healing options.
Although naturopathic medicine treats acute health conditions and current health concerns, a large focus is also on disease prevention. Naturopathy can be an effective complement to your traditional medical treatments, and naturopathic doctors can work alongside your family physician to promote optimal health and well-being.
Guiding Principles of Naturopathy
The practice of naturopathy follows six guiding principles:
- Do no harm. Naturopathy uses natural treatment methods, which have minimal or no side effects.
- Treat the underlying cause of illness. The goal of naturopathy is to get to the root cause of illness, rather than just treating symptoms.
- Promote healthy living. Naturopathic doctors focus on disease prevention, and will educate you on how to optimize your health—including diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes—to maximize your well-being and prevent illness.
- Treat the whole person. No two people are the same, so no two treatment plans should be identical. Naturopaths look at physical, emotional, and mental factors, and will prescribe a customized treatment plan, tailored to your individual needs.
- Emphasize disease prevention. Naturopathic doctors will work with you and provide solutions that will prevent disease and maintain health and vitality.
- Support the body’s ability to heal itself. Naturopathic medicine works to remove any obstacles blocking the body’s ability to heal itself, and bring the body’s systems back into balance.
At NDcare Naturopathic Clinics, we specialize in all aspects of naturopathy. Book your appointment with Dr. Tara Andresen and discover the many benefits of naturopathic care.